Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Great Wall and Good Byes

We are all safe and sound at home now. It's always good to come back to that place called home. But during these sleepless nights wrestling with jetlag, my thoughts are in China. I'm so sorry I did not post more on this blog, but the moments I had free were mostly moments I fell on my bed in exhaustion. So during these wee hours of this Sunday morning, I will fill you in on our last few days in China.
On Wednesday we took an amazing trip to the Great Wall. This was my third time visiting the Wall, and the third section of the wall I have been able to see. This was a very remote section with a sign posted "not open to the public". Needless to say, we were the only ones there! We climbed a steep, narrow pathway through the forest to a make-shift ladder, and crawled our way on to the wall. This section of the wall was gorgeous, no tourism, no vendors, just us, old stones, cold wind, sky and mountains. It was a breath taking experience, and not only because the climb was steep and dangerous!! Some sections were ramp, and we practically had to climb on all fours because of the steepness. other sections were uneven stairs, and also very steep. I did not make it to the top due to the final ascent of steep stairs, and an over active imagination as I could envision myself trying to climb down again and tumbling off that mountain!! But we proudly cheered Kim, Carol and Lisa as we watched them climb to the top!! Coming down again was a challenge, but not as bad as I thought it would be!
Thursday morning rolled around and as we packed our bags we faced the sad reality of having to say good bye to our darling little babies. Heading over to the babies house one last time for final cuddles and kisses was hard. Even though we were with these children only 2 weeks, we certainly fell in love with them all. As I kissed them all good bye I whispered prayers for them, for hope, for healing, for the love of a forever family. What an awesome privilege this has been to serve these precious children. Thank you to all who have followed this blog, and who have prayed along with us on this adventure. You are a blessing to each of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment